The Cover Contessa's Reviews > Everbound

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Feb 06, 13

bookshelves: paranormal, 2013-reads
Read from January 23 to 24, 2013 — I own a copy

Not as good as the first, but still good. The ending was unexpected, tho I knew there would be some sort of twist. Of course I will read the next one!

Blurb from Goodreads:
Nikki Beckett could only watch as her boyfriend, Jack, sacrificed himself to save her, taking her place in the Tunnels of the Everneath for eternity — a debt that should’ve been hers. She’s living a borrowed life, and she doesn’t know what to do with the guilt. And every night Jack appears in her dreams, lost and confused and wasting away.
Desperate for answers, Nikki turns to Cole, the immortal bad boy who wants to make her his queen — and the one person least likely to help. But his heart has been touched by everything about Nikki, and he agrees to assist her in the only way he can: by taking her to the Everneath himself.
Nikki and Cole descend into the Everneath, only to discover that their journey will be more difficult than they’d anticipated — and more deadly. But Nikki vows to stop at nothing to save Jack — even if it means making an incredible sacrifice of her own.
In this enthralling sequel to Everneath, Brodi Ashton tests the bonds of destiny and explores the lengths we’ll go to for the ones we love

OMGosh this cover is awesome! I just love it so much. And the smoke, the smoke! I so see the tunnels! Beautiful! And I ove the colors, They blend so well!

Once again we meet up with Nikki. This time she's trying to save someone besides herself. She remains a bit selfish in this book, as she was in the last. And almost the entire book is Nikki planning to get Jack back. While I love that she's so connected to him, it made for a bit of a boring read. I really didn't feel like she grew much in this book. I would have liked to see her change a bit, but she just didn't.
We get a bit more insight into Cole again in this book. And after reading Neverfall, I was glad to see that he was very much at the front in this book. I truly enjoy his character, something about those bad boys. And I thought for sure he'd had a bit of a change of heart in this story, understood Nikki's plight more so than in the first book. But I guess I was wrong! And that's all I will say about that. Honestly, he really made this book for me and without him, I don't think I could have finished.

The plot is slow with this. It's kind of the same thing going round and round and round. I felt like we were just going through the motions to get to Jack and the same things kept happening over and over again. They moved from one ring of the Everneath to the other with the same things happening over and over again. I just couldn't feel the action that was supposed to be happening. I also didn't feel the urgency that Ashton really wanted us to feel. The book did pick up at the end and the finale was a shocker to me, for sure (I was not expecting it at all).

I have to say the world building was neat. I liked watching them move from the different realms in the Everneath, finding out what would happen them to when the entered it. And I really could visualize how things moved and worked and what they looked like. And I do love Ashton's writing, it flows really well.

All in all I enjoyed the story well enough, but not as much as the first one. I am hoping the third book in this series is a bit more interesting and moving.

4 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everbound.

01/23/2013
50.0% "This one is a bit slower than the first one, that's kind of disappointing."
01/24/2013
71.0% "I like this story, but not as much as the first book. This one won't be getting the same rating and that's a little disappointing :("