Danielmatuk's Reviews > The Lathe of Heaven

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin

U 50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read in December, 2011

Orr is your typical scruffy portland inhabitant that appears more accustomed to moving anonymously through life instead of standing out. Orr rests his head on his pillow every night like the rest of us, and just as we do he dreams. However, every so often, orr dreams deeply, he dreams vividly. These dreams are so vivid that they have a direct effect on reality. As the manifester of these dreams, only Orr is aware of the changes and alterations that happen. Orr has seen how the world has changed and how the rest of us (our minds) incorporate these changes simply as "the way things have always been."

The story opens and revolves around Orr taking inhibiting medicattions in order to limit his dreams. This drives him into the arms of the court appointed therapist Dr. Haber. As Dr. Haber begins examining Orr his interest is piqued. Orr becomes increasingly concerned Haber is using his power for personal gain. What is the real history of our world? Are we all manifestations of Orrs dreaming? Is what we think we know really the way things are?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lathe of Heaven.