Noelle's Reviews > Friends With Boys

Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read on February 25, 2012

You can read the entire comic for a limited time at Faith Erin Hicks' website Friends With Boys. Also, reading her creative process at the bottom of this page was pretty cool.

Friends With Boys is a web comic (soon to be graphic novel) by Faith Erin Hicks featuring previously home-schooled Maggie McKay's experiences adjusting to public high school, making friends outside her family and oh yeah...figuring out why that pesky ghost is following her around.

Maggie is a likeable, sympathetic heroine who is complemented nicely by her charismatic brothers. The sibling dynamics of both the McKay brood and Maggie's new friends Lucy and Alistair are my favorite parts of the story. The characters' interests really filled out the story nicely and were fun to read about to boot.

Hicks excels at communicating emotions with no words, whether it's her beautifully articulate facial expressions or wide framed scenery shots. Maggie's high school map and field notes are both hilarious and dead-on. The characters are all expressive and charmingly rendered.

Some elements of the story are left open-ended but I enjoyed filling in the blanks myself about the ghost and what she meant in relation to what Maggie was going through with her mom. Maybe that's just what the author intended or maybe I have an overactive imagination.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars.Friends With Boys has some pretty enjoyable funny, spooky and poignant moments.

This review was originally posted at YA Anonymous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends With Boys.

02/25/2012 page 85

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Yay!

I'm glad you liked this one :-D

The ending was a bit.... hmmm.

Looking forward to your review though!

message 6: by Noelle (last edited Feb 25, 2012 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Noelle Jo! I couldn't decide if I was just in a deep thinking mood or was just reading way too much into the ending or it really did just leave all that open or what! But yeah, fun times overall :)

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Haha, I don't think I understood the ending.
(view spoiler)
But I still loved it overall.

The bit in the cinema was hilarious. :-D

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Oh and have you read Anya's Ghost?

That is most excellent and the ghost is definitely real and (view spoiler)

Noelle YES. There were so many funny bits and lines!

Noelle Oops, I was replying to your first comment. I hope there's some funny bits in Anya or awkwaaaard.

I haven't read Anya's Ghost but I will now!

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Haha, there are some funny bits in Anya's Ghost too.

But mostly REALLY REALLY SCARY BITS. :-|