Robin Edman's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

Yet another middle aged dude fetishizing Asian women fresh from school. She's hip and subliterate; he's a man who can love Tolstoy and yet remain a complete and total dork. He is obsessed with youth and yet will not eat healthy foods or exercise. Each yammers on and on about the other, trying to convince himself that there's something romantic about this relationship, while each is in fact (ab)using the other; she for a place to stay, he for a jolt to his "fuckability." That's the author's word, not mine.

Add to this dreary, bathetic story an overlay of science fiction world that has the US sinking into a hypercontrolled digitally-monitored fascist state under the weight of its dent to China. Our value is calculated based on our retail purchasing history and power, and the children are vulgar in speech and vapid in thought. I've been in high schools like that, and they weren't all that entertaining either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.