Midge's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

F 50x66
Feb 25, 12

Read in February, 2012

This is a young adult book which is a nominee for the Nutmeg Award. As part of my job I try to read all the current Nutmeg nominees. I am not usually into futuristic books but this one is quite good and had me wanting to read non-stop. It's a disturbing look into a future society that chooses everything for you, from the food you eat to the clothes you wear to who you will marry, and even when you will die. Most books about futuristic societies portray the characters as having little emotion and unable to think for themselves and accepting what the "officials" of the society offer them. This is basically the case here except for the main character who loves the man that society has chosen for her but also falls in love with a second man, an outcast from their society. This love triangle causes Cassia to rebel, something which is not tolerated in this futuristic society. The book has lots of appeal for young girl teen readers but not so much for the boys. It focuses more on the love triangle and less on the violence of other futuristic books like The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner which has so much attraction for the boys. It is very similar to The Giver, but with a romantic edge that the Giver doesn't have. Like The Giver, it leaves you feeling that the "perfect" society is far from perfect because there seems to be no real joy or emotion in that perfect land. When you come to the end you will find yourself wanting to reach for Crossed, the sequel. As a young teen age girl, this book would have been at the top of my list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.