noelle's Reviews > Veronika Decides to Die

Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: do-not-own, ebooks
Read on February 25, 2012

this shitty, whiny book in a nutshell, which is all it deserves: a simple, trite, self-indulgent allegory that poorly contemplates the similarities between genius and insanity

i think this is the worst passage i've read so far:
Vitriol was a toxic substance whose symptoms he had identified in his conversations with the men and women he had met. Now he was writing a thesis on the subject, which he would submit to the Slovenian Academy of Sciences for its scrutiny. It was the most important step in the field of insanity since Dr. Pinel had ordered that patients should be unshackled, astonishing the medical world with the idea that some of them might even be cured.
As with the libido—the chemical reaction responsible for sexual desire, which Dr. Freud had identified, but which no laboratory had ever managed to isolate—Vitriol was released by the human organism whenever a person found him- or herself in a frightening situation, although it had yet to be picked up in any spectrographic tests. It was easily recognized, though, by its taste, which was neither sweet nor savory—a bitter taste. Dr. Igor, the as-yet-unrecognized discoverer of this fatal substance, had given it the name of a poison much favored in the past by emperors, kings, and lovers of all kinds whenever they needed to rid themselves of some obstructive person.

if you are filled with the incomprehensible rage that follows after utter dullness like this, we will probably make good friends.

so i actually finished this, and guess what! it was consistently awful. entirely insipid with a delightful dose of misogyny--outside of the entire premise of the book, a young woman just "deciding" to kill herself basically because she's bored; apparently veronika only discovers life is worth living after meeting a boring artist dude & and (spoiler ahead) it turns out her male doctor was drugging her with a medicine that mimics heart attacks solely so she could discover how important life is worth living. what??? in no way is this examined for how fucked up it is and we're supposed to just sit back and enjoy the shitty advice on how to live life that's being spewed. i probably would have enjoyed this when i was fifteen and didn't know any better, but i'm an adult human with critical thinking skills. i am not impressed with contrived, falsely "deep" drivel. y'all shouldn't be either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veronika Decides to Die.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Yeh! If your review is a movie dialogue and Nicholas Cage is doing it, he'll win an Oscar for it. Nicely done!

noelle just imagine him drunk and SCREAMING! maybe with a really bad southern accent? who knows.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Thanks, I couldnt even finish the paragraph, will give the book a wide berth

Kielo Miklósvári I completely agree with you.

Zharkoc I'm 15 and I thing its total rubbish.

message 6: by Haudrn (new)

Haudrn I think you miss-translated the entire book. Do I think it is a thriller? Absolutely not, but it is a book written to convey a message. The point of writing a work of merit is to put your ideas and beliefs into it, not be brain candy. Read, digest, form your ideas. It's a lovely thing to have an opinion, especially one as potent and fiery as yours, but it is important to see the different types of literature that are available. This was a book written to provoke thought and to bring question to your life and the analyzation of the lives of others. In no way do I feel it was intended to be an easy read, and therefore, not an easy message to define. You have every right to think it was a terrible book, but you may want to reconsider the types of literature you read for sheer entertainment.