Stephanie's Reviews > Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud

Disappointment with God by Philip Yancey

Mar 06, 12

Read from February 25 to March 06, 2012

This book really wrestles with the unanswered, wrenching questions of faith, and while it doesn't provide pat answers (thankfully), it validates our struggle and really ends on a message of hope. Beginning with Genesis, the first part of the book reviews all of the Bible from God's point of view instead of our own. It then, in light of this shift in perspective, re-asks the central questions of "Is God unfair?" "Is God silent?" and "Is God hidden?"

One of my favorite parts (page 245): "The Bible never belittles human disappointment...but it does add one key word: temporary. What we feel now, we will not always feel. Our disappointment is itself a sign, an aching, a hunger for something better. And faith is, in the end, a kind of homesickness - for a home we have never visited but have never once stopped longing for."

Finally, page 253 rings so true: "It is a hard thing to live, uncertain of anything. And yet, sobs can still be heard, muffled cries of loss, such as those expressed in literature and film and almost all modern art. The alternative to disappointment with God seems to be disappointment without God."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappointment with God.

message 1: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Wallace Thanks for the quotes from this book that are very deep. I read it a long time ago and was trying to decide to lend it to a military friend with PTSD or Dobson or CS LEWis's book on suffering.(The Problem of Pain) If you've read all 3 and have a suggestion, let me know at I am a Christian counselor and am speaking at a military conference in a few weeks