Caitlin's Reviews > This Perfect Day

May 03, 13

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, did-not-finish
Read from February 25 to March 02, 2012

Review copy provided by Open Road. Originally reviewed at incaseofsurvival.com

The trouble with classics and parents of a genre is that they often use tropes that are very common to the modern reader, or tropes that are outright nauseating due to values dissonance. Even if these things were acceptable and new when the book was written, a modern audience may struggle.
I struggled with this book. It’s not that I’m a girl with no love for the classics and no ability to look beyond the demands or the era in which a book was written- I’m probably one of the few people who reads classic literature for fun.
I just… really stuggled with this one.
It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just I’ve seen this concept a dozen times before. Admittedly, by books written later, but a lot of these later books deal with concept with more complexity.
And I was seriously bothered by the undercurrent of misogyny in this book. In the 70′s sci fi was very much a boys club, no girls allowed, and this book reeks of it. I am very unappreciative of the rape means love, trope, people, and that’s the point I gave up. There may have been good, in-story and in-character reasons, with all our characters being emotional fuck ups due to the way the world has worked – after they’ve been freed from the drugs, everyone little more than children, having never had the painful experiences of adulthood – but it’s one of the things I just can’t stomach. You may do better.
The writing is fairly simplistic, which actually works very well for the world and story. The characters are believable if not especially complex.
I’m sure it’s brilliant. These things usually are. But in this case, I just couldn’t do it.
Despite my inability to finish it, I’d suggest you at least give it a try, like you should try reading all the original books from a genre. You may not be able to appreciate them, but you can at least see where these books get their tropes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Perfect Day.

05/03/2013 marked as: did-not-finish

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Diehl Caitlin, thanks. Haven't read this one - and have too many on my TBR list, including classics, to deliberately dive into something that might make me feel squidgy.