Jennifer's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Jul 31, 08

bookshelves: adult-books
Read in July, 2008

This epic story of a lonely boy, his loyal dog, and his family's betrayal at the hands of his bitter uncle will not only haunt me for the rest of the summer, but will cause all the other books I pick up this fall to pale in comparison, I suspect. Set in a rural 1970's Wisconsin and gracefully hung on the bones of Hamlet, the story explores the inner life of mute boy Edgar Sawtelle and his amazing invented breed of near- mind-reading dog, simply called the Sawtelle dogs. Edgar's life raising and training dogs on his family's farm is idyllic until his father dies suddenly and Edgar suspects his uncle was involved. Determined to bring the man to justice, Edgar makes several crucial decisions that will change the course of his life and the fate of the Sawtelle dogs. The ending is heart-breaking, yet inevitable and in keeping with the story. Though it occasionally meandered, I always wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next, and found the prose lyrical yet accessible. Destined to be a classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan such a good review, why only 4 stars?

Jennifer It was a little long. If you're not in love with his language and descriptions of rural Wisconsin then it might feel like too much for some. But I loved it!

Jessica I agree... and I skimmed sometimes especially during the "woodsy" time... but it is still quite a wonderful book.

Kari I agree with your review Jen. A little rambly...although I also think I was skimming along quickly very curious to see where it was all going. I don't like sad endings so....I could of read a whole book about the "happy time" with the background on the dogs, the breeding, etc.

Jennifer Oh, the ending was hard! I felt prepared, because of the Hamlet foreshadowing. But Almondine's fate almost broke my heart. I still love it, even though I'm sure lots of people will poo-poo it because it is an Oprah pick.