Jenna's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: movie-adaptation, faves, classics
Read in February, 2012

Don't ask me how I got to my age without having read or watched To Kill a Mockingbird. I guess it's coz I didn't study it at school like so many seem to do, and I never felt particularly compelled to pick it up in my free time. I finally read it last week, as it was suggested reading for my writing course, and I'm so glad I was forced to make the time for it - because it was awesome of course.

I adored Lee's whimsical way of storytelling. While the book deals with some pretty heavy issues, the use of the young Scout as narrator gives it such a sense of warmth, humour and hope. I think Scout is one of my favourite characters ever. The way she saw the world, together with her innocence, her stubbornness and her strength, made her a remarkable – and, importantly, believable – kid. I also adored her family - especially her relationships with her father, Atticus, and her big brother, Jem. The supporting cast of neighbours and friends were also wonderful, and even the antagonists were superbly and realistically drawn. Bob Ewell gave me goosebumps, he was so icky. The one character I wanted to know more about was Boo Radley, though of course this would have completely undermined his place in the plot as a mysterious, almost mythical creature. He was just such a fascinating character - as they all are, really.

Quotes Jenna Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

03/12/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Psst. The film stars Gregory Peck. ;)

Jenna I NEED to see it :D

message 3: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber I tried to read this at 11 and I was far too young . Have never reattempted.