Angelique Jurd's Reviews > The Devil of Light

The Devil of Light by Gae-Lynn Woods

Feb 24, 2012

Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

As a writer I’ve never been one for following rules – so I don’t mind too much when other writers break from them. Who says everything has to be done the traditional way in order to work? Gae-Lynn Woods throws away enough of the rule book to keep readers on their toes while sticking to the tried and true when it counts.
A mix of thriller and good old fashioned detective mystery, with a very subtle undercurrent of horror, The Devil of Light is well paced with strong characters and an intriguing plot. Following Cass Elliot as she investigates a series of murders and discovers things about her hometown and its inhabitants that leave her with more questions than answers.
Having grown up, without her mother and the youngest child and only girl in a large family, her eldest brother in jail for a crime Cass has her own secret behind her choice to join the police force. Driven to resolve her own problems, protect those she loves, and bring justice to her town, Cass is an intriguing, well rounded heroine with enough weaknesses to be realistic and enough spunk to make you smile. I can’t wait to see who will play her when Hollywood gets hold of this story – and trust me they will get hold of it.
The ending, while frustrating, is satisfying – and leaves me convinced Ms Woods has a series planned. I certainly hope so – because I really want to find out what happens to Cass and the rest of Arcadia – and tie up some loose ends.
Really, the only question that is important is when do we get to visit Forney County again?
by Angelique Jurd (for The Kindle Book Review)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil of Light.