Sue's Reviews > One Summer

One Summer by David Baldacci

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: family-drama
Read from February 24 to 26, 2012

"One Summer" by David Baldacci is a novel that I was totally gripped from the first page. I couldn't put it down.This is a story of a guy, a decorated war vet, family man and all around decent guy - Jack Armstrong - who finds himself dying from a mysterious disease. Family members, including his darling wife and 3 kids, prepare for his departure from their lives and this world. He accepts his fate and makes his peace, though he doesn't want to go.

For me, the hallmark of a great book, whatever the genre, is the effect it has on me as a person, not just a writer or reader. This book stays with me, the effect that is, even after I put it down. I'm thinking about things I never would have thought about, like Jack is forced to.

Powerfully written, I can recommend "One Summer" to you without hesitation. I'm not sure when this book was written but David Baldacci had the goods from day one and this novel delivers. I won't give away any more than I already have but I will say this: Family drama, living on without loved ones, troubled kids and personal loss are dramas in life some of us, most of us, will go through. This book is just such a story told with compassion and great skill.Well worth the read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Summer.