Ravenous Biblioworm's Reviews > The Blue Girl

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint

U_50x66
Feb 24, 12

I heard of Mr. de Lint when I stumbled across him at Amazon for his Painted Boy book (which I just recently ordered). I checked out this book from the library while my book I order is being sent to test de Lint out. I think I made a good choice in a purchase (that review will come later). There are many plus for The Blue Girl. The main protaganist, Imogen, whom the title is names after, isn’t your typical, average, ordinary girl. She was a gang member. She lived like one. Fought like one. I think one of the factors I liked about this book was how her relationship with her friend, Maxine, changed her and vice versa. Though it wasn’t shown well in certain parts, I got the point that they were good for each other. Their strengths picked up for the other’s weakness.

The urgency in the book was high for most of the book, especailly towards the end. There were small moments of stalling ( a few of Ghost Boy’s scenes) but they played a part in the the story’s plot. The beginning took a few pages to take off but once I was immersed into the story, those few pages didn’t seem to matter.

I liked de Lint’s writing. I read the first page and thought, ’Yeah I can read this.’ And here it is:

“It starts with this faint sound that pulls me out of sleep: a sort of calliope music played on an ensemble of toy instruments. You know, as though there’s a raggedy orchestra playing quietly in some hidden corner of my bedroom… Rinky-dink piano, tinny horns and kazoos, miniature guitars with plastic strings, weird percussion. I don’t really wake up until I hear a creak from inside my closet. I know exactly what it is: the old wooden chest where I store my childhood treasures. I lie there, staring up at the ceiling, straining to hear more over the insistant whisper of the music, because now I know that all these nursery rhymes and fairy tales are creeping out of the books I used to read when I was a kid.”

There’s a voice here. Imogen’s voice. For me, there was this creepyness to this scene (especially in the next few paragraphs), and yet there’s also this sense of lost. For most to the book, you get the chatacter’s voice. de Lint’s author voice doesn’t come in. Yes there are moments where the book loses its uniqueness but overall I thought the ideas were creative. The origins of the plot issue was a stretch, but I was willing to side aside my disbelief. And it was the same as the ending, the solution, I had to stretch my acceptance a bit, but I believed it.

Verdict: I would recommend the book. I would also buy this book, though it wouldn’t be a first choice. More like hey I’ll add this, since I want to add more to my library. Read it is my recommendation.

Visit my book review blog at ravenousbiblioworm.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Girl.