Oceana2602's Reviews > Black Powder War

Jul 08, 2007

bookshelves: 2006, fantasy, english, women-writers
Recommended for: fans, fantasy-lovers
Read in September, 2006

Finally I read these wonderful books! See, I don't like fantasy. It has never been my genre, and I wouldn't have bought "His Majesty's Dragon" if it hadn't been recced all over my flist. And so it sat there, on my bookshelf, waiting to be read, not tempting me at all with its fantasy cover, for at least four months. I have to read this, I said to myself, and took it with me to Nice. Where I only read it because I was running out of other books to read. I started without much enthusiasm late in the evening and then read it through in one go until even later in the night.

Oh, why did I wait so long? These books, all three of them (though I bought and read the other two after my vacation) are incredibly entertaining and simply loveable. I'm not saying that the story doesn't have its weaknesses, especially the last part suffered from long fighting scenes and tactics that were uninteresting, at least to me, but the world Naomi Novik creates is cleverly constructed and has so much potential. The first book is more like an introduction and ends rather abruptly, but I couldn't have put it down for anything. The second was my favourite of the three, I wish they could have stayed where they were (not saying so I don't spoil you), and maybe that is why I didn't enjoy the last one as much as the others.

Still, I can't wait for the next book in the series. It was truly a pleasure to read these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Powder War.