Lorena's Reviews > The Serpent Sea

The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2012

This is fantasy like I haven't read in a long time. I'm a fan of all of Martha Well's books, and the thing that never ceases to amaze me is how different they all are and how rich her imagination is. The world-building in The Serpent Sea is beyond anything I have experienced since the glory days of sci-fi, full of alien worlds and alien life forms and alien customs galore. I've been more drawn to fantasy than sci-fi in recent years, mainly because I have found the plotting and characters in fantasy to be more compelling than in sci-fi lately, but it must be confessed that most of that fantasy is set in vaguely medieval Earth-like worlds, populated mostly with human-type people and the usual fantasy race suspects...elves, dwarves, the occasional dragon or nymph. The Serpent Sea combines the best of what I love about both genres...a compelling plot with interesting and evolving characters, set in a world that is both complete in every detail, and yet always spinning out new and enchanting surprises around every corner. I thought the first book in the series was very good, but not spectacular, and I'm so glad I continued on to read this one. A really wonderful and unique read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Serpent Sea.