Naoms's Reviews > Bayou Moon

Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

May 14, 12

bookshelves: library, paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, shifters, witches-magic-users-shamans
Read from April 19 to May 14, 2012

"Bayou Moon" takes off two years after the events in "On the Edge." After being rejected by Rose and watching her and her brothers run off into the Weird with Declan, William has stayed behind in the Edge. He lives alone and isn't bothered by anyone, until an enemy from his past slithers back into his life. What ensues is a story of revenge, family feuds, battles, scientific experiments and betrayal. On his journey, William stumbles across Cerise. A young woman as smart as she is tough, and as beautiful as she is ferocious. They must look past their preconceived notions, each others sharp tongues and the weirdness that surrounds them both, to work together to level a common enemy.

It took me awhile to get through this. Which was surprising, because I love the team that is Ilona Andrews very much. I liked and was interested in William when I read "On the Edge," but this book just didn't catch me the way that Kate Daniels has. I think the problem is that, because it's Ilona Andrews, I am looking for Curran in every single book. Which isn't fair to William, but I'm used to Ilona Andrews writing these amazing male characters, who is as tough as he is loveable and sure of himself. William is hardly ever sure of himself in the whole book. It's understandable with his past, but I love heroes who have some confidence.

One thing that the character William, does is pull you in. His background is so heartbreaking and horrible, that you want nothing but the best for him. The issue I had with this book, was that Cerise and William had way too much pride and prejudice. Their internal monologues were just riddled with self doubt and denial about how they felt about each other. Both, for reasons of their own, did not believe the other could love them and so it took them forever to take the plunge. It got very annoying after awhile.

The action, on the other hand, is jam packed. Cerise is as much a warrior as William. Always there to stand up for her family, to protect herself and take the enemy down, which you really must appreciate in a heroine. At no point is she pathetic, but somehow she manages to still be feminine and vulnerable when it comes to William, and still be the stronger one emotionally in the family.

The Edge series is very different from all the other Paranormal romance and urban fantasy books out there. For that alone it's worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Moon.

04/19/2012 page 59
13.0% "I am finding Cerise to be annoying. She is making assumptions, jumping to conclusions and being Rude to William for no reason."
05/08/2012 page 90
20.0% "Hopefully, I can get this book read, this time."
05/11/2012 page 169
38.0% "I am finally getting into this one! I knew Ilona Andrews wouldn't let me down!"