Shannon's Reviews > My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Jul 15, 2012

bookshelves: absolute-favourites, all-time-faves
Read from July 12 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

Such an awesome Summer read (even though I read it in the dead of winter!).
Loveable characters, sweet romance, some pretty hot scenes, fantastic writing...My Life Next door ticks all the right boxes. The secret doesnt come into play until the last 100 pages, but I think this was a pretty good stragetigc move, as we have relationships established, seeds of doubt sown, characters changing face or other characters seeing some for who they really are; Clay Tucker is a cold, manipulative bastard and Nan is a two faced, jealous biatch. The love story is sweet, well paced and absolutely real. Its not many authors that can write such a romance and have me believe that the two characters actually love each other as much as they say. There are some obstacles that the two love birds have to overcome which, when they do, only serves to strengthen their relationship. The thing that struck me was that they actually got to KNOW each other before they established themselves as a couple. This slow progression from friends to love was so sweet. The Garrett family provided some hilarious scenes with the little children, but also drove some of the more serious issues within this book.

I think I would have to agree with the decision Samantha made, by choosing, not which family to stick with (although she did kind of do that) but also choosing what was right (no thanks to said manipulative bastard, Clay). Sam's mum was a weak woman, easily swayed and many times I felt like slapping her in the face and screaming at her to stop being so goddam selfish and stupid!

I would reccommend this book to over 16's as there is quite alot of discussion about sex and birth control (mostly within the context that Jase's family is one of 8 kids and some of the comments his mother gets, as well as this being a story about first love...and alot of other firsts).

This was a heartwarming and enthralling read (and the looking at that cover just makes you all sorts of happy; the hardcover has an awesome bright yellow cover under the dust jacket). Definately reccommend this to all those who love a good chick lit book, with some deeper context.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life Next Door.

07/14/2012 page 150