Hermione's Reviews > Defiance

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: dystopia-post-apocalyptic, whiny-heroines, girls-who-can-kick-my-ass, delicious-boys, ebook, high-expectations
Read from November 25 to 29, 2012

4 stars. Among all the stream of dystopic YA novels streaming in, this was certainly of the better ones. Was it very cliche and unoriginal? In some ways, yes. But was it also entertaining and a good experience? Absolutely!

So, yeah. Am I a little bit disappointed? Yeah. I mean, I guess I was expecting this book to be one of the BAM! type of books that you can't help but gush about all the time. But hey, it was still really good, but not really great. But I guess not all books can be really great like VA or all the other awesome shizz in the YA world, right?

That's why I shouldn't have expectations.

DEFIANCE - pretty accurate title - is about Rachel and Logan both defying the ruthless leader of Baalboden after Rachel's father, Jared, fails to come back from a mission from the Wasteland with a package.

Except now I'm becoming lazy and so I'll just tell you: The package is really important, the Commander now wants Rachel and her Protector (Logan) to go find it, & and bring it back to him. Because it's important.

So the plot is okay. I mean, nothing really different, but nothing so unoriginal either. Our heroine, though she has fighting skills, is really weak at heart - which, can I blame her with a dead father? - and needs her "Protector" to safe-guard her.

Right. But it was still enjoyable, albeit a bit boring. I liked it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

Quotes Hermione Liked

C.J. Redwine
“I ache to hear her tell me she loves me, but forcing her to put words to how she feels pushes her further into the silence she seems comfortable calling home now. I tell myself to be patient and understanding, but inside there's a longing only those words will fill, and it hurts to ignore it.”
C.J. Redwine, Defiance

YOU. CANNOT. COMPREHEND."
11/30/2012 page 178
44.0% "Haven't had time ... EXAMS. GRRR." 2 comments
12/02/2012 page 352
87.0% "So ... How do I feel about this book so far? Well, it's good. It's great. But is it like zomg-i-think-i-might-be-in-book-heaven? No. D:"

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

is that vanessa hudgens? it is rather dark in here.

Hermione Haha, I thought it was Vanessa Hudgens, too! I'm not too sure, though. Sometimes I think it looks like her and sometimes I don't. I don't think she had any appearances/shows on the CW.

lol, yeah it is.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yay! usually im horrible at recognizing stars.

message 4: by Hermione (last edited Aug 07, 2012 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hermione Me too. I'm horrible at recognizing Oriental Asians. They all practically look the same to me. OTL

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well yeah they're all sorta did in heir own way. Like take me, I'm chinese and weird.

Hermione Haha. :)

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear LMAO. That's Silver from 90210! her name is Jessica Stroup. I think she's very pretty. <3

and I KNOW RIGHT HERMIONE?
I WANT IT SOOO BAD. :(

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

REALLY? Oh migosh, did not recognize her.

Hermione REALLY. Doesn't watch CW shows. She is very pretty. But I admit I'm not really good with stars. ^^" Except the really famous ones. xD

I KNOWWW. D: I want this book so bad. I'm willing to kill for it.

Aqsa Raffe Pooky Bear LOL. I have entered every book contest for it! Every single giveaway!
*fingers crossed*
:")
I've heard such good things about it!
My friend read it, and she said Logan is to die for! and Rachel is amazing! She said, she expected CJ Redwine to make the story with a bit of humor! but it was more sad! and she actually cried in the end! :")
and I asked CJ if that was true, and she said; Yeah, I've actually showed another side of myself in my book!
but--
she's saying she's writing a new book series that is funny, coming out next year :)