Anne Broyles's Reviews > The Last Nude

The Last Nude by Ellis Avery

Feb 24, 12

Read in February, 2012

I confess that prior to this novel, I had not heard of the Polish art deco artist, Tamta de Lempicka. I do know about and enjoy details of the Lost Generation (“Midnight in Paris” acquainted many people with some of these characters) in Paris. Avery’s novel tells some of the painter’s story, letting us meet Tamara through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Rafaela Fano, who became muse and model for de Lempicka.

I went back and forth between de Lempicka’s paintings online and the book that imagined how each painting might have come about. Rafaela is an engaging character, young and naïve enough that I kept wanting to shout, “Don’t do it!” when she made one bad decision after another. Rafaela’s point of view in the first section was for me more compelling than the second section written from Tamara’s point of view. All in all, though, I enjoyed Avery’s sensuous writing and depiction of a well-known time and place with a different set of characters (artists instead of writers) and their possible lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Nude.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kumari "I went back and forth between de Lempicka’s paintings online and the book that imagined how each painting might have come about. "

I did the same. It was a very involving experience. I loved it.

Christin I agree-I was definitely more engaged by Rafaela's narration! Thanks for the reference to the back list of books-I'm going to look at that now