K's Reviews > The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York

The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden

F_50x66
Jul 08, 07

bookshelves: cooking

I love this book, less for its recipes (although the ones I tried were actually pretty good, if written in a less user-friendly way than I'm used to) than for the many well-written and enjoyable history sections throughout. I really enjoyed reading about how Jewish cuisine developed in different world regions. It's a fun book to take out on a long Friday night and flip through, reading whatever section interests you at the time. It was an expensive book, but I really love it and I think it makes a beautiful gift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Jewish Food.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new)

M If I;m thinking of the right book, I saw it written up in the Times and wanted to buy it for you. Hmmph. For someone in the bookforsaken biblio starved holy land you sure do seem to beat me to the punch.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I actually bought it many years ago (if it was written up in the Times recently, it may be a different book, and if it is, I wouldn't be against! ;)). I was deep in the darkest part of my Ann Arbor days, and needed a pick-me-up, as I often did back then (although don't get me wrong; I didn't always act on that need). I fell in love with it at a friend's house and treated myself, and have not regretted it. I really think this book was worth the money, which was more than I would normally spend on a book, even a cookbook. It got me very interested in food history, which I find to be a lot of fun to read about and can even be quasi-intellectual, at least in this book. That was really the selling point, and what made it worth more to me; it's way beyond a simple cookbook.

message 3: by M (new)

M Ah ok I wasnt sure becuz there were a few 'memoirs in food' that came out recently and i coudnt remember what the titles were but knew they had caught my eye

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I like food memoirs, although of course some are better than others, as with everything else (and especially memoirs). I loved Ruth Reichl's "Tender at the Bone" and Elizabeth Ehrlich's "Miriam's Kitchen." But "The Book of Jewish Food" is actually a relatively old book, at least ten years old I think.