Mandy's Reviews > The Street Sweeper

The Street Sweeper by Elliot Perlman

F_50x66
Jun 09, 12

Read from February 24 to March 18, 2012

Two chapters in and a great start, will be interesting to compare with Anna Funder's 'All that I am'.

Excellent, harrowing, very clever marriage of 21st century life with an extraordinary piece of WWII history. Had no idea of the Sonderkommando uprising at Auschwitz, or, in fact, that Auschwitz was a death camp only (always it was a concentration camp). Very powerfully written, some descriptions of the events in the camp left me breathless but also very touching and sympathetic with the relationships of the 21st century characters particularly. Well worth reading, only criticism is that the ending was a little too neatly tied up - no need to dot all the "i's".

I think, Perlman is a better writer than Funder, but hardly seems fair to compare the two because I suspect Funder had far less latitude with how far she could take the fictional part of her story given her relationship with one of the main characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street Sweeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meaghan Put this aside for me please!

Jenny Have now finished Street sweeper. Harrowing, bleak, but a gripping read. By the last quarter of the book all I wanted to do was find somewhere quiet to keep reading. Yes it ends very neatly but I found that satisfying. Almost as good as Seven types of ambiguity, although in comparison The street sweeper is just a little too contrived.