Carrie's Reviews > The Exceptionals

The Exceptionals by Erin Cashman

Aug 05, 12

Read from August 03 to 05, 2012

Great concept. Weird book.

First of all, Henry is a billion times better than Dylan, because, um, WE STILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHO THE HECK DYLAN IS. Honestly. It was possibly the worst written teens-falling-in-love thing I've read. It was-

INSTA-LOVE. (gasp)

And it wasn't the semi-acceptable kind like, "I just absolutely knew he was perfect for me!" thing that you roll your eyes at. It was the kind that is literally "Oh, hey there! I love you 5ever now, that's longer than 4ever *giggle*." From what I remember of Dylan, he
*is hot/handsome/gorgeous (all 3 are used multiple times)
*has pretty eyes
*doesn't have parents, they're dead (oh noez! how terrible!)
*is a good guy! No, a bad guy, that jerk! No wait, now he's good again, I'll trust him with my life and he can be my boyfriend!
*and mysteriously leaves at the end for unspecified purposes
which is not exactly how much information you want when you fall in "love."

Ok, besides that, the writing was pretty weak sometimes, like something a middle school student would write, including the introduction. Before I get criticized for saying that, I would like to add that I'm terrible at introductions too, but I don't write books.

Lastly... THE EDITOR.
MY GOD.

How did she even get a job as an editor? She missed two MAJOR mistakes and a few smaller ones as well. Two may not SOUND like a lot, but think about how many noticeable mistakes you usually find in books.

EXAMPLE OF A TEENY MISTAKE
Something was described as being "irresistible"... yet Claire resisted. That one is kind of literal, but still.

THE TWO HUGE GIANT MISTAKES
1) On page 5, Claire goes to "Lakeville High School". On Page 7, she suddenly goes to "Lakeview High"... and then in the very next paragraph, and every time it's mentioned after that, she once again goes to Lakeville.

2) Claire's family has a dog named Darwin. Throughout the book, Darwin barks, goes on walks, chases cats, and follows people around hoping for extra food. You're probably thinking, Well, duh, of course dogs do that. But for some inexplicable reason, on page 48, Darwin is described as a guinea pig. Every other time he's mentioned in the book, he's a dog. But on page 48, he's a guinea pig. (?)

What kind of an editor misses those things? Maybe she found other mistakes - it's not like I've seen the first draft or anything - but it doesn't really matter if you miss a bunch of other ones.

That's about it. I suppose I would recommend this book, but there are definitely other ones I would recommend first.

TOTALLY UNRELATED: Nevermore: The Final Maximum Ride Adventure comes out tomorrow !!!!!!1111!!

ASJFHKJHGDKHSDDLSDKSKSJLKL

I'm fangirling right now.

IT COMES OUT TOMORROW I'VE WAITED FOR THIS MOMENT SO LONG... SINCE MARCH... AND IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words cannot describe how excited I am. Like, jump around and twirl excited.

A Final Warning (haha, that's a pun - hahahaha - wait, no one else is laughing) to James Patterson:

IF THIS BOOK IS BAD OR HAS NO FAX AND LOTS OF MYLAN, YOU WILL PROBABLY BE KILLED.

Not by me personally. But gosh, have you seen the reviews? I was just looking at the beginning of them and there are at least 5 threats (not serious, I would hope) against his life involving Fax. That man needs a security detail to protect him from angry shippers and fangirls. They can be awfully dangerous, apparently.

Well, anyway, I'll probably wake up and be like, "OMG NEVERMORE!!!!! TAKE ME TO BARNES AND NOBLE! NOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!"

That's it. But seriously...

JUMPITY JUMP TWIRLZ SPIN GIGGLE!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exceptionals.

08/03/2012 page 5
2.0% "Well, my only comment so far is that I'm not the only person who has trouble writing introductions to stories..."
08/04/2012 page 111
47.0% "The EDITOR of this thing. She is not particularly bright, apparently."
08/05/2012 page 167
71.0% "That stuff about Dylan is relatively obvious... She STILL hasn't figured it out, though."
show 3 hidden updates…

Gabriela When Claire describes Darwin as her 'guinea pig,' she's referring to him as her experiment, not an actual guinea pig.

"a person or thing used as a subject for experiment"