Brittany B.'s Reviews > Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard

Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: 1all-time-greats, audiobook, rom_best-of-romance, 1favorites, 1books-to-read-over-and-over, high-recommend, rom_suspense, rom_linda-howard, funny
Read from February 24 to 26, 2012

5+stars for one of my all-time favorite authors.

If Linda Howard is sometimes hit or miss, Mr. Perfect is an easy HIT!
Excellent book. One of Linda Howard's very best. Funny and sweet, scary and heartbreaking; this Novel is a PERFECT blend of suspense and romance. It is a treat to read from start to finish. Not once during this book did I lose interest; I devoured every single scene. Linda Howard is an author with many faces; each of her books is so different in intensity. This book is a bit of a thriller, but I didn't feel it was nearly as intense or serious as Dreamman. And the hero of the book might be my absolute favorite Howard Hero. He also lives up to the book's title...

The book centers around a group of 4 women who work together and are very close outside the job. Having various man troubles, they jokingly make up a list of what their 'Perfect Man' would be like. This list accidentally becomes a sensation when it is leaked to a gossip at work. As word travels, the women get an unwanted 15 minutes of fame and a crazy stalker seeking to punish them for the list. The girls also suffer more troubles in their relationships, as their husbands/boyfriends feel insecure, offended and embarrassed. The main character is Jaine, a funny and outspoken woman who has been engaged 3 times but never made it to the altar. She's given up on men. Having just moved to the neighborhood, Jaine has to confront the "weirdo" neighbor who she thinks is an alcoholic with a bad temper. In truth, her neighbor, Sam, is a police detective. Accidentally, Jaine realizes he is quite a hottie when she catches a peek of his body thru his kitchen window one morning. Pretty soon, the tension between them becomes thick and steamy! Sam is a such a great character. As things heatup, Sam dedicates himself to capturing a lunatic targeting the ladies of the list, including Jaine.

Mr. Perfect shows a lighter side of Ms. Howard. While I enjoy her heavy books very much, it was a nice surprise to see this different side of her. This one is not as light as To Die For, but nowhere near the intensity of Cry No More or After the Night. (each of these are all-time greats in their own right) Thus, Mr Perfect does a wonderful job showing the versatility of the author.

My only complaint is that I did figure out the stalker's identity too soon. However, the great intro regarding the 'bad guy' and the resulting level of creepiness makes up for any realizations I made early on. The predator in this reminds me a little of the skin-suit serial killer in "Silence of the Lambs" mixed with the owner of the Bates Motel in "Psycho"

Finally, the love story is sweet and sexy, and the alpha hero is much more appealing than many of Howard's other heros, who sometimes act too tough and controlling with their ladies.

If you have not read this, I Highly Recommend it. If you have read it: go ahead a read it again! :)
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Perfect.

02/24/2012 "Ive been looking forward to this book for quite a while. Starting it tonight."
02/24/2012
15.0% "I can understand why this book beloved. So far, charming, funny, and unexpected."
02/25/2012
25.0% "Silly and fun so far. Love Sam already. Narration not my favorite. Hope the new version will have different narrator. (listening to older copy)"
02/25/2012
60.0% "Calling all Linda Howard fans: If you've never read this, do so ASAP. I am in heaven! Amazing book. Even more than I expected."
02/26/2012
85.0% 1 comment

Gavin Great review.

I never realised who the stalker was until it was revealed. It was a surprise for me!.