Heather's Reviews > The Earthquake Machine

The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry

May 24, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, from-author
Read from May 24 to June 13, 2012

Rhonda lives a privileged, but very unhappy, life as a teenager in a home with two parents who have a chasm between them. Her father is thoughtless and self-absorbed, her mother teetering on the brink of insanity. After tragedy strikes, Rhonda throws herself into the Rio Grande and emerges in Mexico as a Mexican boy named Angel.

I really wanted to like this book. I really liked the author, aspects of the synopsis really intrigued me, and therefore I really wanted to love this story. But I just didn't.

Rhonda seemed totally unstable and all over the place-- not strong, as I thought she was supposed to be. She just seemed crazy, one second sounding like a murdering fanatic, and the next sounding like a forlorn lovesick teen. Later it appears that she hates her own "impending womanhood", and is simply seeking a way to escape her doom.

Then at about 40 pages in, the story took a really strange twist and became like a psychedelic ride. Soon after peyote enters the picture and things get really weird. The story maintains this very over-the-top and maniacal feel up to the town of Arrazola, like a three day peyote trip and vision quest. Once Arrazola is found, suddenly Rhonda is reborn again as a girl and a quiet peacefulness settles in.

Much of the story was disjointed and fragmented. Often ideas were linked together in a weird way and didn't flow fluidly, leaving it feeling clunky and awkward. And the story was rampant with sexuality. Sex was a big focus of fascination and confusion for Rhonda/Angel. It was definitely too sexualized for the younger YA crowd, and parents should consider it strictly NC-17.

Not all of it was bad. There were moments I loved her descriptive writing. But for the most part I found it just...uncomfortable.

My final word: So I wanted to be wowed by this story, and in the end I was left simply "blah". Not bad, not good. Just...eh. But many others are giving it quite good reviews, so perhaps it was just a poor fit for me, and maybe it would be the perfect fit for you!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earthquake Machine.

05/28/2012 page 32