Pilar's Reviews > Mindful of Him

bookshelves: winepress-publishing-book-review
Recommended to Pilar by: WinePress Publishers
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from March 01 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

"Mindful of Him is a tale of heartbreak and triumph set in the 1950s. Separated from his young wife, and with both of his parents recently deceased, Rob McLain sets off on an adventure for which he has longed since childhood."

The above is a short excerpt taken from the back of the book. The description and the author's biography lured me into wanting to read this book.

The book is predominantly about the experiences of Rob McClain. The book begins with Rob losing both of his parents and his grief leads him into a whirlwind of questions. After experiencing another unfortunate tragedy with his wife Beth, they separate. In his heartbreak and despair, he decides to give up everything and embark on a journey by himself through the wilderness to find the source of a river he loves. Along the way, he meets and spends time with different people (who are amazing). One of them being Rufe, who is my favorite.

In a conversation, Rufe tells Rob something that pierced me, "Greed is the problem; people pay a terrible price for it. They have to work long hours to try to satisfy the monster that they have let grow inside. A rational man who has let greed drive him for a while out to step back and look at what he has been doing to himself. And he'd see that the more he had, the more he'd want, and that he was spending his only life on earth trying to satisfy something that could never be satisfied." My living in New York City, I can totally identify with Rufe's statement.

I found myself relating to a lot of what Rob thinks, feels and experiences. In his pain and hurt, he also wrestles with doubt, fear and depression. He experiences inner and outer turmoil on his journey, while trying to get answers to his questions. I found there was a strong correlation between what Rob experiences physically as well as spiritually.

I relished this book; it was philosophical, deep and the imagery throughout was just breathtaking. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I loved every single nuance of this book; including the size, font and exquisite photo on the cover.

Reading this book was like eating a good meal; delicious and satisfying. Speaking of which, Mr. Hughes does an outstanding job describing food in his book. My mouth was watering the entire time!

Ultimately, this beautiful story is about faith, hope and love. I admit, I even cried at the end (which I rarely do). Words can't adequately convey how much this book touched me. It was like finding treasure. I highly recommend it and give it five stars.

"What is man, that thou art mindful of him?" Psalm 8:4
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindful of Him.

03/07/2012 page 103
37.0% "I am really enjoying this book."