C's Reviews > The Power of One

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: audiobooks

Audiobook. The narrator grew on me and had such a knack for delivering the naive bravado of a child.
Excellent book.

There are a lot of wonderful quotes in here & the story is moving and well paced. I nearly fell over when I heard Doc's height.

I do feel that the earlier part of the story has a more authentic feel to it. It is all good, but the childhood part rang especially true, as I suppose is the case since it is semi-autobiographical in this respect.

Really enjoyed this. Some harsh scenes and a surprisingly brutal - yet satisfying - ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of One.

Quotes C Liked

Bryce Courtenay
“Always in life an idea starts small, it is only a sapling idea, but the vines will come and they will try to choke your idea so it cannot grow and it will die and you will never know you had a big idea, an idea so big it could have grown thirty meters through the dark canopy of leaves and touched the face of the sky.' He looked at me and continued. 'The vines are people who are afraid of originality, of new thinking. Most people you encounter will be vines; when you are a young plant they are very dangerous.' His piercing blue eyes looked into mine.' Always listen to yourself, Peekay. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step toward a fulfilling life.”

Bryce Courtenay
“First with the head, then with the heart.”

Bryce Courtenay
“Let me conclude by saying in my experience the glittering prizes in life come more to those who persevere despite setback and disappointment than they do to the exceptionally gifted who, with the confidence of the talents bestowed upon them, often pursue the tasks leading to success with less determination.”

Bryce Courtenay
“. . . God is too busy making the sun come up and go down and watching so the moon floats just right in the sky to be concerned with color . . . only man wants always God should be there to condemn this one and save that one. Always it is man who wants to make heaven and hell. God is too busy training the bees to make honey and every morning opening up all the new flowers for business.”

Bryce Courtenay
“. . . besides love, independence of thought is the greatest gift an adult can give a child.”

Bryce Courtenay
“The man assumes the role of the loner, the thinker and the searching spirit who calls the privileged and the powerful to task. The power of one was the courage to remain separate, th think through the truth and not be beguiled by convention or the plausible arguments of those who expect to maintain power, whatever the cost.”