JulesQ's Reviews > Habibi

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended to JulesQ by: Ken Jennings
Read in February, 2012

This was my first foray into the whole graphic novel genre (thank you, Ken Jennings). I mean, I barely even read the daily funnies, to say nothing of comic books (though I did faithfully read a web comic for about a year). So I don't know where Thompson falls in the graphic novelist spectrum. What I do know, however, is that this book was beautiful.

But it was also dark. And sad. And touched on sensitive, and difficult themes like rape, prostitution, and such.

I'm giving it five stars for execution. I loved how the graphic elements and the words worked together to tell the story, and I liked that Thompson used several kinds of paneling. There was a particularly compelling sequence where the pages were several panels of whiteness and words, which worked because so much else of the graphic elements were so elaborate and detailed.

I'm also giving it five stars for the narrative arc, character development, writing, and all of that.

I do however, on principle, have to take away a star because I would not be able to recommend this to many of my friends because of the sexually explicit language and drawings. In my opinion they were more or less tastefully done, and served a critical role in the narrative which was good enough that I couldn't walk away; but I would not want my mom or my 16 year old sister to see me reading this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Habibi.