Damali's Reviews > Flame of Sevenwaters

Flame of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier

Dec 22, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, world-crush, fantasy
Read from December 12 to 18, 2012

Sevenwaters has always been a strange place under the best of circumstances. As Christianity is on the rise and magic is considered fantasy, the Sevenwaters family have kept to the Old Ways. The fey have often used the family in their plans, and have watched over each generation. That’s not to say bad things don’t happen.

Sensing that their world is getting smaller and smaller, the “good” fey retreated to a place where they can preserve their ways, and there’s been a changing of the guard in the fey world, the Otherworld, and now the current king, Mac Dara, is not so nice to humankind. He wants his son, who is married to one of the Sevenwaters daughters and is living in exile where his father can’t get to him, to take over for him. Mac Dara begins to harass Lord Sean’s neighbors to lure his son back home.

Maeve was sent away from Sevenwaters to recuperate from a tragic accident 10 years ago. In that time, all of her sisters have gotten married and moved away, and Maeve is now a young woman of 20. Because of the injuries she sustained, she is unable to do most of the things women of that time did, such as knitting, weaving, and sewing. She even needs assistance to eat a meal and go to the bathroom.

Her aunt and uncle ask Maeve to return to Sevenwaters to deliver an important horse that is hoped will be used to smooth over difficulties that her father, Lord Sean, is having with his neighbors. Many of the Sevenwaters family have uncanny abilities. Maeve has the ability to sooth difficult creatures, and she’s the only one who can ensure the feisty horse can reach Sevenwaters safely. She's afraid of how her family will view her disabilities, and she also has to deal with her inner demons, returning to the place of her accident. Maeve stumbles upon something in the woods that leads her on a journey that, if successful, may put an end to Mac Dara’s schemes.

This is my second favorite POV after Daughter of the Forest. This is how a character should be written. Usually, a female character with limitations or difficulties, or just a bad hair day, comes off as weak and whiny, and just gets on my nerves, but JM knows how to show weaknesses, but also the strengths of her characters. This world is just so beautiful that I can never wait to dive into it. I love this series!

Men, don’t ignore this series because a woman wrote it. This should be a must-read for all fans of epic-historical fantasy!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame of Sevenwaters.

12/12/2012 page 25
6.0% "How does this girl go to the bathroom, is what keeps running through my mind. :D" 5 comments
12/13/2012 page 105
25.0% "I'm in love with this!"
12/13/2012 page 105
25.0% "I can finally get back to this! :D"
show 7 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathleen did you see the price on this one? I love Marillier but $12.99?

Damali I know! I still have the Foxmask series that I haven't read, so I'll be getting to that first.

Kathleen I loved the Foxmask Series. I am jealous you are reading it for the first time. Just found out that my library got Flame so I will be reading the good old fashion book!

Damali My library has her most recent ebooks. I'm going to try to send an email or something to ask them when they'll get this one in.

Kathleen Glad to see you loved it too. I think this one might have been the best one yet.

Damali It's my second favorite after Daughter. I really connected with the POV. :)