Teri Nolan's Reviews > The Land of Laughs

The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll

Feb 26, 12

Read from February 24 to 25, 2012

I nearly gave this novel fives stars - it was so close! The omission of that fifth star was purely based on dialogue. The story was five star, the narrative was five star, but sometimes (not all of the time) the dialogue did not flow naturally, like real conversation. It's a cleverly written book, very enjoyable and holds your attention in that delectable way the best stories do. Land of Laughs was written in 1980 and published in 1982, which was really fun because reading the story reminded me what it was like to live before the technology explosion of the 1990's. It was like a time-travel back to those yesteryears that I sometimes miss. Miss a lot! But, I wouldn't part with my iPhone, no.

I'm not one to outline plots in my reviews as so many others have done that before me. Instead, I like to say things about the book that made me particularly happy or annoy me in some way. In Land of Laughs, the mystery Carroll sets up and gradually reveals made me very happy. The crafting of the female characters annoyed me just a tad. We have come a long way baby, as things that were acceptable in 1980 make me cringe now! I do, however, stand by my stars, and suggest you read this novel. It pulls you in and keeps you there and lingers after you are done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Land of Laughs.