Jen at Reading Lark's Reviews > Dead to You

Dead to You by Lisa McMann

Feb 25, 2012

Read on February 24, 2012

This review has been posted at: http://readinglark.blogspot.co.uk/201...

I read this one in a single sitting; it took me just under 3 hours. I really like Lisa McMann's YA writing. She has a very clean style: minimum fuss descriptions. It probably isn't for everyone but I do enjoy that. She also writes delicious kissing scenes. *sigh*

This book is the story of Ethan, a boy who returns to the family that he was abducted from after 9 years away from them. It is very psychological... Ethan has many issues in coping with a return to family life, when the only life he can remember is one filled with neglect and hardship. He struggles with some really interesting reactions to stress, which has me wanting to do a little research and see if that truly happens to people sometimes.

Ethan's family also struggle with readjusting; his younger brother can't deal with what happened and becomes obsessed by the idea that Ethan isn't Ethan at all. His parents clearly still suffer from terrible anxiety about abduction because they monitor their three children minute by minute and freak out if they are late. Ethan's only solace come from his old best friend, Cami, who lives four doors away. She listens to him without judgement, reassures him when he falls apart, and gives him something else to think about besides his home life. Ethan behaves in a bizarre falsely-confident manner with her, which I found really interesting to read... it seemed very authentic to me. The only thing I would flag up about this book is that Ethan knows & uses some pretty strong language, which would make this unsuitable for younger readers.

Overall, I am impressed with this read. It really committed to the 'follow through'. I can't be more clear on that without spoiling the plot, so I'm going to remain cryptic. Suffice it to say, I am desperate to talk about this book with someone who has also read it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead to You.