Tina's Reviews > Those Who Save Us

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

Aug 10, 08

Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This was a great story of a mother and daughter, their memories, secrets and survival.
I haven't read any other book that dealt with the German perspective during WWII, and this was very enlightening.
Although the book did not tie up in a neat little package in the end, it did answer all of the questions.
I felt a little cheated that Anna was not vindicated to her late husband, Jack, and that he died without understanding all that tormented her and why she could not love him completely.
It would have been nice if Trudy were to hear from her mother how in love her parents were. I think she had more healing to do and Anna is the only one who can help her with that. I guess I was a little bothered that Anna, being such a strong mother when Trudy was small, just abandoned her emotionally.
Overall, a good book, with alot to discuss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Who Save Us.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

robin Hi Tina! I just finished this book and I agree with all of your points. I was preparing myself for the big dramatic mother-child emotional reunion thing so I was a little let down. I am going to suggest it for book club, especially since both you and Laura have read it.

Suzanne I had the same reaction. I wanted them to gain healing from the mother explaining the story in her own words to her daughter. I understand why some authors choose to end books this way but I like all the loose ends tied up with understanding by everyone who deserves it. Namely, Jack and Trudy.

Tina Hope y'all enjoy it Robin!