Becki's Reviews > Chosen

Chosen by P.C. Cast

Apr 22, 12

Read from February 24 to 27, 2012

Chosen is the third book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series, and like Betrayed the story takes up pretty much from the end of the previous book (although an indeterminate amount of time has passed).

I think Chosen is a real turning point in the House of Night series. As the blurb hints ‘the line between friend and enemy is becoming dangerously blurred’ in this book. I really enjoyed reading it, but at the same time I found it really difficult. There were lots of times I just wanted to yell at Zoey. But I liked how this story and the characters evolved. This is the most grown-up book in the series so far. The phrase ‘beware of Greeks bearing gifts’ springs to mind, as does ‘all that glitters is not gold’ (and I’m not referring to the Twilight vamps here). More than Marked or Betrayed this book is about consequences, so it’s not always an easy read.

Chosen is as brilliant as both Marked and Betrayed, but I will admit that despite finding it a bit difficult I preferred this book overall. This is partly because there was some resolution in the story, so when the book finished I didn’t feel like there should be more. In fact, I think Chosen was the right – I don’t think any more needed to be added to it.

I enjoyed getting re-acquainted with the House of Night gang, although to be honest they didn’t appear much in the story. This book really focused on Zoey and how complicated her life has become. I have to say that I really liked Aphrodite in this book. She is an awesome character; I really enjoyed her snark, and how brave she was.

The bad guys – and I won’t mention any names, just in case – were delightfully devious in this book (yes, I like alliteration :P ). There seem to be a couple of factions of them, which adds another dimension to the plot – at least for me, because I mean how far can you trust a bad guy to be telling the truth?

So, if you like reading about vamps and high school then you should maybe, probably, definitely give this book a go ;)

First published on TheFlutterbyRoom.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen.

02/24/2012 page 13