Maria Nesmith's Reviews > Where the Sidewalk Ends: The Poems and Drawings of Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: eced-221

I read Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. I really enjoyed this book of poems. All of the poems were geared towards a problem that a child might be facing. All the poems were different lengths and shared different messages. This book can be for different ages depending on what poem you are reading.

One major thing I loved about this book is how there was a picture or two that corresponded with the poem. It gives a better visual of how the author interrupted the poem. The pictures look like they are children drawn and can help the young readers relate. The sound the author used is humor. The humor is great for children to overcome problems. The insight to these poems is to help lift the student’s emotions through humor. The positive stretch put me back into my childhood and I even laughed at some of the humor. This book of poems is appropriate for anytime in the classroom.

This book brought a funny approach on how children can solve problems. Even as an adult I enjoyed reading this book and I think children will too. It relates to my life because I faced some of the same challenges when I was a child. I will definitely make this book available in my classroom for my students to enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Sidewalk Ends.