Adrian Anderson's Reviews > Breakdown Motel

Breakdown Motel by Ty Marton

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: crap, sick-beyond-words

If this is what people spend their time fantasizing about...and the subconscious guides our overt actions...then it's no wonder we live in such a sick sick world.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakdown Motel.

message 1: by Deeze (new)

Deeze I will never understand how anyone can read a rape and then call it hot. Even in fantsy

message 2: by Elyssia (last edited Feb 24, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Elyssia Spellsinger If people want to read about BDSM etc. it's fine I think. But a story eroticizing rape I think is despiccable. You're right Adrian. Don't let anyone tell you different.

message 3: by Fadia (new)

Fadia Pierre Rape, blood play, burning and a few others I dont get... I see nothing sexy about being scared out of your mind and getting acts forced upon you... I guess that is why I have shelved a lot of books for my darker moments.

Adrian Anderson Peyrac wrote: "Some like rape fantasies, some don't. There's no need to talk down to those who do. However, and I am someone who does like rape fantasies, THIS book here was deplorable bullcrap of the worst sort ..."

What's next? Pedophile fantasies? /:)

message 5: by Deeze (last edited Mar 25, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Deeze I really feel sorry for the rape victims that have people like you on the jury during their ordeal.

I am so glad to be in the 50 to 60 % that thinks rape is nothing to fantasize over

Adrian Anderson Peyrac wrote: "Adrian wrote: "It may be to your utter astonishment, but roughly 45-50% of all women do have rape fantasies. Established fact. "

Please, quote your source and make it a reputable one. Preferably a study that has been peer reviewed. And you are not one of my patients - I don't have to extend such courtesy to you. I'm sorry if you don't understand doctors ARE human and have human biases - we just don't let it impact our management.

But rest assured, if we are asked to treat say...a rapist who had his penis bitten off...we'd treat him to the best of our ability. We'd inside be thinking - serves you right.

PS - About your rape fantasy...try walking down skid row in a skank suit. Happy raping! Wish you all the best!

message 7: by Juri (last edited Mar 26, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Juri  Jorn Peyrac... I thought you didn't like reading books with dominant males? How is it that you like rape fantasies?

Here is a study on female "rape fantasies" and here is another. These are both reputable journals. While it may seem like I am supporting Peyrac's claim... I'm not.

Notice that in both studies these were female undergraduates... and these female undergraduates in no way are representative of an entire female body as Peyrac said "roughly 45-50% of all women do have rape fantasies. Established fact."

This is my opinion, and you can argue with it in whichever way you like, but soft sciences have very few "established facts." The difference between the "soft sciences" (sociology & psychology) and the "hard sciences" (chemistry & physics) is that the machinery in the hard sciences act consistently. In the world of chemistry, whenever you react vinegar with baking soda you get a consistent reaction, there is an "established fact" that a bubbly reaction occurs every single time.

There is no consistency of a similar scale in the softer sciences. Anyone who claims there is such similar consistency isn't aware of cultural differences (patriarchal versus matriarchal society for example, monotheism versus polytheism is another). In this case, the studies above that I've linked to are ONLY true for the university's undergraduate girls where the study was performed. I highly doubt the figures be the same for the women in a Christian college like George Fox University or in a senior retirement home.

The trouble with sociologists and psychologist, or those who think of themselves as sociologist and psychologists, is that they often extrapolate their data into something they have no basis to extrapolate to, that is, they apply the quirks and standards of a minority and apply it towards a larger population.

What Peyrac is saying may be true, but ONLY for some specific demographic group. However, it is certainly not an "established" fact, very few things in these fields are.

Keep in mind, one of my favorite quotes, from Nietzsche, "when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you" applies here. When you are exposed to something everyday, you get used to it. When you live in France, it is much easier to pick up French since you are exposed to it everyday. If your parents were abusive alcoholics, there is a chance you will become one too. This "diffusion" can be seen in many subjects.

People who read a lot of M/M fiction often have different standards than most people. That said, if you read a lot of M/M books with rape, is it that surprising that you have rape fantasies?

message 8: by Adrian (last edited Mar 27, 2012 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Adrian Anderson Peyrac wrote: "@ The Fluff - answer on the way to your intray, I by now detest this pretty clueless, misogynic moneygrabber so much, I won't bother answering here."

Misogynistic? We are misogynistic? Funny, rape used to be associated with that word. "She wanted it, she liked it, women secretly want to be raped" - those are the kinds of things rapists say in their defence.