Alyssa Ricks's Reviews > Hex Appeal

Hex Appeal by P.N. Elrod

Jul 06, 12

Retribution Clause, Ilona Andrews - 4.5 Stars This story takes place in the Kate Daniels world, but follows characters we've never met before. The main character is Saiman's cousin, but a very different personality (he prefers his true form and subdues it with a magic watch to go unnoticed) and with less magic. He works for an insurance company and when a woman is murdered by her husband he and his partner are assigned to carry out the retribution clause in her life insurance policy within 11 hours, before the man is set to surrender to authorities.(view spoiler) There are romantic undercurrents and I would like to see these two come to Atlanta.

Bigfoot on Campus, Jim Butcher - 4 Stars Bigfoot, aka Strength of a River in his Shoulders, is Harry's client and he wants him to look in on his son, Irwin; he's had a premonition that something bad is going to happen to him. Harry visits Irwin at college and realizes that his girlfriend is (view spoiler), but she doesn't know it and doesn't seem to be hurting Irwin in any way. Of course, her evil father shows up (view spoiler) Harry, being Harry, can't let that happen and sets out to save the day. I had one major problem with the premise of this story: (view spoiler)

I did not enjoy the other stories in this anthology; in some I just didn't like the characters and in others I liked them just fine...up until the end when they pulled a bonehead move.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Appeal.