Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)'s Reviews > Wanderlove

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: on-my-ereader, read-in-2012, review-books-completed, arcs
Read from March 02 to 04, 2012

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book complimentary from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Are you a Global Vegabond?

My answer? No.

I love to travel. I love seeing new places, doing the tourist thing, trying new foods, checking out the scenery and the people, and having a great time away from home, but I’m not what you would call a daring traveler. I like hotels — the comfort and convenience of real beds, real blankets, a working bathroom. I overpack, planning for every possible outing, for every type of weather. I get really cold at night, so I usually take my heating blanket with me.

See – I’m not a light packer.

So, when Bria is offered the chance to drift away from the safety of her touring group and join a group of backpackers across Central America, I was instantly hooked. Bria was doing all the things that I wouldn’t dare to do and I loved every second of it. In the first place, I probably would never go on a vacation by myself to Central America. Maybe to a more familiar city, but I’m way too much of a chicken to do anything more than go out to lunch or dinner by myself, when it comes to things that are usually done in pairs or as part of a social gathering.

Not only did I love Bria in this book, but all of the characters were so wonderfully written: Starling was perfect and just so free-spirited (as well as a little contradicting) and Rowan was, well … Rowan. I’m swooning as I type this because I fell in love with him instantly. The setting of the book was amazing, as well. Reading it, I could tell that Hubbard must be a traveler because the writing was so fluid, it sucked me right into the scenery and the landscape of Central America that I felt like I was there. I could feel the spray of the water on my face and the heat of the sun melting through to my bones. Reading the book made me want to escape the cold, Canadian winter and venture somewhere warm!

I was so wrapped up in the book that I was sad when it ended. Normally, I’m the one who goes against the series books (some I can tolerate, but there are just so many out there nowadays), but this one, I wanted to go on forever. It was amazing.

Perfect for young adults and adults alike, Wanderlove will appeal to people who love to travel, who love to dream, and who love to love. It would be the perfect summertime beach read or, if you’re like me, the perfect escape from a never-ending winter.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlove.

03/03/2012 page 97
28.0% "I really like this ... probably because I'm not the most daring traveler!"