Althea Ann's Reviews > The Crown

The Crown by Nancy Bilyeau

Feb 29, 12

Read from February 24 to 26, 2012

If you are a fan of Margaret Frazer's Sister Frevisse mysteries - AND you are a fan of The Tudors (either the TV show or the historical time period in general) - there is no question: you should read this book immediately!

An intransigent novice leaves her cloistered order to be present at the execution of her cousin, whose family has fallen afoul of Henry VIII's religious policies. Regardless of the interference of a handsome young man, she is arrested and questioned - and blackmailed into becoming a spy. There are rumors that her convent holds a valuable relic, and with religious establishments being suppressed and closed all over England, political factions are all out to seize as much wealth as they can.

Joanna is, at first, a reluctant investigator... but once details start coming to light, her naturally inquisitive nature comes to the fore, and she is compelled to solve the mystery.

The writing is good enough, and the research is thorough enough, that the book should satisfy fans of historical fiction - while the plot has enough twists and turns to satisfy those more familiar with the murder-mystery genre.

I received this book through the Goodreads "First Reads" giveaway! Thank you Goodreads!
However, I should note that I am not one of those people who feels required to give out good reviews just because I didn't pay for a book! I always voice my honest opinion... just read my other reviews if you're in doubt! ;-)

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown.