Crystal Starr Light's Reviews > Perfect

Perfect by Sara Shepard

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, mystery
Read from February 24 to 27, 2012

"Buckle up, girlies. Nothing is as it seems"

The saga of Aria, Emily, Hanna, and Spencer continues. Aria's family is in shambles, and her mother can't bear the sight of the daughter who withheld knowledge of her father cheating. Emily struggles with her sexuality and trying to get her parents to accept her. Hanna is falling out with her BFF, Mona. And Spencer perhaps has taken one too many things from Melissa.

These books have been marvelous fun to read. They are wildly entertaining, interesting, and actually quite a bit creepy. This book in particular kept me up WELL past my bedtime (and I had to wake up for an early flight the next morning!).

Each girl has a vivid story. Aria knew about her father cheating, but never told her mother. Now, she suffers for that. Sure, it's kinda weird to see a mother so antagonistic to her own flesh and blood, but I still think it is nice to see Aria's mother behaving as a normal human being--flawed and somewhat selfish. Her relationships with Sean and Ezra are all over the place, and you totally won't expect how it ends.

Emily was far more interesting to me this time. She has feelings for Maya...but she can't show them, knowing how her parents would react. When the secret comes out, Emily is threatened with either attending Tree Tops (a homosexuality "reform") or moving to Iowa with her super strict aunt and uncle. Again, her aunt and uncle felt WAY overboard (keeping a list of sins? Eating Cheerios to avoid sexuality?), but then again, there are some WEIRD people out there. As for the conflict Emily has over family and Maya, it's very realistic and not all that unlikely.

Hanna is still one of my favorite characters. I really felt for her as she struggled to keep her relationship with Mona. The poor girl has lost so much--boyfriends, father, her independence and confidence--that she can't bear to lose the girl who stood by her 3 years ago when they both made themselves over.

And then Spencer. What is revealed about her...again, this is the reason I stayed up way too late. I love how her stealing comes to bite her in the butt, and I love the argument she has with Melissa. All too often in books, I feel the characters really hold back in what they yell at each other. Not here.

We meet some new and old characters. Ezra, Sean, Lucas (such a sweet boy!)...they all really grow and develop. They refuse to be 1 Dimensional characters and feel like they have hopes, dreams, and likes of their own. Even "evil" characters like Melissa and Meredith don't feel 100% evil.

Of course, the amount of people in these girls' lives that aren't helpful--Aria's mom, Emily's aunt and uncle, Hanna's BFF, Spencer's parents--gets a bit over the top. Can't they have SOMEONE to rely on?

The novel ends on a cliffhanger, so if you are reading this series, make sure you have Book 4 lined up. Fortunately, I do and I also have a nice 2 hour block of time while flying to read. This series only continues to improve in my eyes. I can't wait to find out what happens next!!
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect.

02/24/2012 page 86
02/27/2012 page 200
67.0% "Wow, Emily has the weirdest pseudo-fundamentalist family. I know it's probably parody/satire, but WOW!"
show 6 hidden updates…

Demi For a school assignment, we had to read a book and the first one that came to my mind was “Perfect”. I had read the other ones and they are pretty good; I still feel like someone is watching me and that I think is a big effect on these books, because you can really put on their shoes and feel like them. I really liked your review, because you describe quite well the characters and thanks for the advice; I will have the next book ready. Can’t wait to know how is A.

Crystal Starr Light Demi wrote: "I still feel like someone is watching me and that I think is a big effect on these books, because you can really put on their shoes and feel like them."

Thank you for your kind words!! These books were kinda creepy--and they aren't even technically horror or mysteries! Of course, I really liked that part; it can be hard to write a book that is that intense.

I hope you like the next one and can't wait to see what you think of who "A" is!

Nicole *`((O_O))`* Your review is so perfect!