Andrea's Reviews > 501 Bento Lunches: 501 Unique Recipes for Brilliant Bento

501 Bento Lunches by Korero Books

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: z2012_read_list, cooking-and-food, nonfiction
Read in February, 2012

I was looking for recipes and ideas for traditional Japanese Bento dishes. Unfortunately, this book is mostly focused on the appearance of Bentos and includes lots of cute lunch ideas, but very little useful recipe information. Many of the bentos use food-colored rice (ewww), store-bought sausages, meatballs and luncheon meats, and convenience foods that aren't terribly healthy or cost effective. There were some good ideas for combinations of foods, but adding a handful of raw carrots or small tomatoes to pack the bento tightly isn't exactly groundbreaking. Fun to flip through, nothing very helpful for practical application.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 501 Bento Lunches.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Abel Hey, would you let me know if this is, or if there is another fairly practical bento book you come across. I've been wanting to start making my lunch instead of eating garbage food. Thanks. =)

Andrea This one is NOT it. Mostly kuwaii bentos and not really recipes so much as assembly instructions. Totally worth skimming through but I'm happy I got it from the library.

Perhaps try "Just Bento"? Not a cutsie cartoon critter made from ham and cheese in sight, just good recipes and some practical tips for planning and packing bentos. Google it to find the website - about 1/3 of the book is already on the website. :D