Alicia's Reviews > Making an Exit: From the Magnificent to the Macabre -- How We Dignify the Dead

Making an Exit by Sarah  Murray

Feb 24, 2012

did not like it
Read from February 24 to March 01, 2012

UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!! This book should be called, "I am an atheist and so is my father. And he died and I wanted to write something to honor him, but no publisher will make a book just based on that premise alone. So I told them I would write a book about how people around the world celebrate and revere the dead. But really I just want to talk about my dad. And the fact that we are both atheists."

I think Random House to hire me in their marketing department.

But seriously, about page 80 I decided to speed read this, and I am not sad I did. The only cool parts were when she talked about the other countries. But there was WAAAAAY too much about her dad and his plans to be cremated, and where they would scatter his ashes, and then that made her consider where SHE wanted to be buried, or scattered or whatever. And then she would mention again that they were BOTH atheists, so it didn't really matter because they KNEW (underlined tree times) that this was the end of their existence.

I did not like this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making an Exit.

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle I have several books about death on my shelves. I'm too lazy to tell you what they are, but you should check them out. I'm sure they're better than this one.

Alicia I only got this because the title looked good. And the inside flap did a good job of lying about how much atheist talk there would be. And I am a sucker for a non-fiction. I will go take a look.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I enjoyed "The American Way of Death" by Jessica Mitford. That's why I was checking reviews for this. Thanks for yours! It made me decide not to waste my time on this one.