Carol's Reviews > Superman's Cape

Superman's Cape by Brian Spangler

Feb 27, 2012

liked it
Read from February 24 to 27, 2012

Superman's Cape by Brian Spangler is three different stories that come together in the end. The main story revolves around Sara Connely, the mother of two young boys who is struggling to make it both emotionally and financially. Hers is a heart wrenching story that parents will likely identify with as it addresses the fears of living alone while raising children and having a missing child. A secondary story is that of Kyle, Sara's twelve year old son who ends up missing after a family argument. The third story involves Jacob, television weather man who has the gift of seeing things before they happen. Their stories are all intertwined and the author jumps from one to another for each chapter.

I found this book to be entertaining and I was eager to see what happened next. Mr. Spangler paints a clear picture of the setting as well as the feelings of the characters. He uses a lot of similes and metaphors to convey his ideas. Overall, I enjoyed this book, however, I found myself skimming some of the chapters that involved Kyle being lost in the woods. Those chapters didn't seem to move quickly for me. I found them to be repetitive and the voice of Kyle did not seem to be authentic. Some of his thoughts and words seemed to be too mature for a 12 year old. Despite these concerns, I would recommend this book. I would love for Mr. Spangler to continue the story of Jacob.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman's Cape.