Bonnie's Reviews > Europe on 5 Wrong Turns a Day: One Man, Eight Countries, One Vintage Travel Guide

Europe on 5 Wrong Turns a Day by Doug Mack

Mar 16, 12

Read from March 01 to 13, 2012

I won this in a Good Reads giveaway-a free book--I really wanted to read it as I was an expatriate--many years ago and I often thought of how it would be if I went back to the places I had traveled to.
I did not use any guide books that I remember back then--except one whose title I have forgotten.I was in Amsterdam and took the Euro rail to Brussels from there- Interesting re the red light district of Amsterdam & The Anne Frank House--I related to so much of what he saw and felt there.I also liked the museum reviews--some so true. I loved Brussels,but sadly missed some of the sites he mentioned & had some difference of opinions on some of the sites he saw, but fun to see through someone elses eyes.
It was a fun book and would like to visit the countries using his book as a guide.Well done with some great tongue in cheek moments.If traveling abroad this would be a fun book to tuck in your bag--wish I would have had it with me--some sites I missed that the author wrote about would have added to my memories of my trip. The comparison to the guide book his mother used and how things had changed and not changed was quite interesting.I wonder how much of Amsterdam and Brussels has changed since I was there. All in all a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Europe on 5 Wrong Turns a Day.