Alex DeBlois's Reviews > Atomic Lobster

M 50x66
Jul 25, 2008

liked it
Read in April, 2008

I consider myself well versed in Florida based fiction. From John D McDonald to Carl Hiassen to Randy Wayne White to Barbara Parker to Edna Buchananen, Laurence Shames and many others, the tradition of in your face, over the top action with a nod to the raping of the habitat in Florida by developers has always appealed to me.

I find the latest in the series of Serge Storms and all the regular characters to be a bit thin. There are certainly some inspired insights about the possibility that those of advanced age are taking advantage of the generally accepted stereotypes. Also the economics of going to live at sea for all you can eat food, room cleaning and never ending streams of eligible dancing partners is inspired.

That being said, I thought that the balance of the story strayed afar from the traditional Florida nostalgia, inspired Rube Goldbergesque murders and over the top coincidences of past installments.

I'll still go for any subsequent books but hope Tim comes up with a new set of zany characters and antics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atomic Lobster.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Since you mention Florida fiction -- I don't notice any Jeff Lindsay on your list?