Nafiza's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: net-galley, 2012
Read from February 24 to 28, 2012

The YA genre is certainly rife with dystopians. You can't go out without tripping over one. Okay fine, that is an exaggeration but I can't help but get weary of the same plots with a few subtle differences (you know, differences like the cause of the ultimate breakdown of modern society). There's usually a girl. She usually has powers. There's also usually a society with tyrannical rulers/dictators/whatever you wanna call them (a rose by any other name and all...). Then there is a boy. Mysterious. Intriguing. Attractive. Whom the girl will feel attracted to against her will. And who will make her see her the things wrong with the system she has been blissfully living in. Okay fine, not blissfully. Let's say complacently. How does that sound? Good? Okay.

There, I have described the majority of dystopians out there. It's almost formulaic. I'm almost ready for it to be a girl the other girl is attracted to. Or a robot. A cyborg! (Though, I'd say Prince Kai already has that down, hur.)

Anyway, to the review proper now. All the things I mentioned above? The stereotypical elements of a dystopian novel? These are all present in Partials. But you know what? They all work splendidly together to create a novel that is, a lot of times, breath taking. And no, I'm not even being cheesy (okay maybe I am, slightly) saying that but it's just. Well.

Partials, as all really good dystopians do, gives a peek at a future that may very well be our own. It really could be taken as a warning to all the scientists out there, you know, the ones playing God. Please be careful with whatever you are genetically creating. Seriously.

Anyway, Partials is really, really entertaining. Since I said two reallys, you know I mean serious business. There is wit, there is a touch of romance with Marcus and a whole promise of more romance with Samm. There is intrigue and boy, is there action. Lots of action. Casualties. Too many and some of them were senseless. So on a purely shallow level, I was very satisfied by Partials. It promised to be entertaining and it was. Very. The writing was sharp (and I mean this as an adjective to describe how very readable the novel was), the plot was well constructed and the pacing was spot on. Totally awesomesauce.

But. Well, you knew it was coming. I had some troubles with the novel. Not huge troubles. Just ones that niggle at me until I speak them out. And this may be because I analyze novels on a daily basis and I can't let a passage pass me by without analyzing the hell out of it but...I felt that the synopsis or rather the excerpt that we read on the back cover of the novel, you know, the final words of the last president? The gravitas conveyed by his final message, the sorrow, the melancholy, the loss, the utter devastation...these elements were subsumed by the overly action oriented novel. I liked the action, I did but I would have liked for us to take a breath and dwell on the immense loss of humanity. And perhaps it's just me, but I felt distanced from all the characters in the novel. As though there was something that kept me from getting inside their heads and knowing what they were thinking and feeling and I didn't like that. It kept me from connecting to them which in turn kept me from empathizing with them and all these things interfered with my final enjoyment of the novel.

Sometimes you read a book and it resonates within you; you keep on thinking about it. I remember being affected by Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brian (we will forget book the two exists) but I didn't quite get the same feeling from Partials. Maybe it was because I went in expecting quite a different novel than I got.

That being said, I still enjoyed the novel tremendously. In fact, I think this will make a kick ass movie. Is someone out there listening? You could sell millions. Anyway, I am definitely reading the second one in the series and I wholeheartedly (with ALL my heart, not just three quarters of it) recommend it to you. Yes you, the one who's still wondering. Go read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

02/24/2012
27.0% "Bye-bye Marcus. :D"
02/24/2012
37.0% "I love the plot but I feel a distance from the characters."
02/24/2012
75.0% "I like how everything is logical. But I still feel detached from the characters. Hrm. And oh Marcus, I wish you had stayed gone."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I thought you'd like this. :)

Nafiza I did! It was a nice change from everything else.

Maria i enjoyed this too. ;)

Nafiza It was pretty kick ass.

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura “awesomesauce”—love that word! :) Great review! Hope to dive into this world soon!

Nafiza I hope it is as good for you as it was for me. Haha. I've always wanted to say that. :D

message 7: by Rabi (new) - added it

Rabi  hey I was just wondering if you hadn't gotten this via netgalley would you have purchased this? I only asked because I'm thinking of buying this.

Nafiza Hm. No. I would have gone to the library. I like it but not enough to spend money on it. :D

message 9: by Rabi (new) - added it