Celeste's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Sep 21, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in September, 2008

I've been trying to get in the habit of reading more non-fiction. For some reason I've always been a bit skittish about commiting to a non-fiction read. Silly! I honestly grabbed this book because I liked the cover. It looked somewhat inspiring, and it was on a list given to me by a fellow teacher, so why not?

With each page that I turned in this book, my heart attached even more. Let me be clear here. It's written well enough, but it's not high literature. I got all mushy over the do-goodiness of it. Yeah, I think I just made up "do-goodiness," and I don't care. I enjoyed it, teared up over it, and wished I had some cash to send to the CAI. Perhaps it was reading it by candle light the way those Pakistani children do their homework that connected me to it. I don't know. It doesn't matter.

I'm not recommending this book out of objectivity. I tried and found it pretty hard to remain objective about it. Blame it on my hormones, uterus, whatever. I'm woman enough to know when she loves a book because it was heart wrenching and not because it was a fabulous book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.