Kelly's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Feb 24, 12

Read in February, 2012

The first part of 'Blood, Bones & Butter' is an intoxicating mix of great writing and epicurean indulgence. I'm not normally fond of memoirs, since they're usually nothing more than haphazard collections of self-aggrandizing lies. Gabrielle Hamilton, however, has done an almost perfect job of writing a memoir that is both candid and yet modestly impersonal. Its best passages are about food and memory. The second half of the book was, frankly, a little confusing. She suspends her biography as a restaurateur and chef and takes up the subject of her curiously stultifying marriage. There's nothing wrong with this, obviously, but I simply didn't know what I was supposed to make of it. Why was she telling me this stuff? I enjoyed the coming-of-age story and the confessional aspects of her biography insofar as they shed a useful and interesting light on how a palate can mature, on how a career in the food business can take shape, on what life can be like for a chef in New York... but the details of her ill-defined relationship with her husband seemed to lack a context and connection to her previously established themes.

Sometimes after I read a novel that's been made into a film I'll complete the experience by watching the movie. In the case of 'Blood, Bones & Butter' I decided the best capstone experience would be to have a nice dinner at Gabrielle Hamilton's restaurant in the East Village, "Prune". I went with my gal and we had the quail, pork shoulder, a negroni, sardines & crackers, goat cheese & bread, mascarpone ice cream with caramel & croutons, and olive cake. Our meal was absolutely first-rate. All criticisms aside, this woman knows what she's talking about when it comes to food.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy This was an amazing review, especially the end in trying out the author's food. What a compliment to this writer as well as a recommendation for a book to this reader. Thank you!