A.E. Shaw's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Mar 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 24 to March 17, 2012

Firstly, I didn't know this book was a part of a series until the last page. This was surprising, by the time I got to the last page, for it seemed to have about all wrapped itself up, and then...more books! Surprising.

My abiding feeling about this book is that it was incredibly unpleasant. Indeed, miserable. As I started reading it, I had the sinking 'oh, it's written like that' feeling, but all credit to Ness, that became exactly the device for voice and pace I presume it was intended to, and managed not to annoy me at all after a while, which is no mean feat, because I get annoyed superfast by that kind of thing generally. And it is written at a great pace, which made me want to read it faster, and faster, and that's something I happen to like in a book, but the content of it...didn't thrill me, didn't delight me, and that is fine, for not all novels need to thrill and delight, but it also meant that I, personally, found it increasingly difficult to actually enjoy reading it, or even to want to know what new horror was next, and so that, that is why I didn't rate it higher: simply...not my thing.

Having said that, I like the writer very much, so I would certainly consider seeing, structurally, plotwise, what could come next, and if I happen upon the next book, well, I can imagine myself picking it up, and starting it, and once more being drawn in by the pace. A curious situation...but it seems to fit an unusual read such as this.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.