Ellen 's Reviews > Chosen Ones

Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: e-arc

Chosen Ones is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the United States has become divided after a great war, one of the after effects being that few if any women are able to give birth to children and if they become pregnant, it is pretty much a death sentence for them. Tess knows the rules, "Emotional entanglements only lead to physical trespasses. We humans, were weak. We couldn't be trusted with our emotions. The female is dangerous because of her natural tendency to embrace humans' emotional side and her ability to elicit and encourage sexual activity.....Sex equates full and utter dependence on someone else both physically and emotionally. There is a brutal war going on right outside our home; we can't afford to be distracted." Forced to recite these rules after her sister's death in front of the whole compound, Tess is branded, and sent to take her sister's place a Templeton, as is the duty of the firstborn female in each family.....sent to serve the "Chosen Ones."

The "Chosen Ones" are beings created by "The Council," and their purposes is to protect the humans or "naturals." Genetically engineered, these males are considered to superior to the naturals in every way. They fight the wars and supposedly offer hope for continuation of the species. Templeton is the training center for the Chosen Ones. This is where Tess will serve in her sister's place. She has vowed never to love, not to allow herself to feel, her heart hardened in a world with little hope. The things she sees and learns at Templeton cause Tess to question everything she has been taught, and when she meets James, a Chosen One who is unlike any other she has ever met, her whole belief system is challenged and put to the test. Love, which was something Tess vowed never to partake in, blossoms in her heart as she and James spend more time together. Their's is relationship that is forbidden, something that wasn't supposed to happen, but yet it does and they must face the consequences. When something is discovered about Tess, about how she is different from all the other females, it forces a plan to be put in motion by "The Resistance," a covert group that is opposes what the Council is doing, but this plan is dangerous, not everyone will survive, and not everyone can be trusted.

Chosen Ones is a dystopian novel set in a bleak world where little hope is given to the human race. It portrays a dark future, one devoid of love, but also one where love will find a way when it seems there isn't one. There is also a science fiction element, that being the creation of the Chosen Ones, a superior race of beings, but they are not as easily "controlled" as their creators intended them to be. The story is filled with conspiracy, murder, betrayal, revolution, and romance in a dark futuristic setting where things and people are not always what they seem. I enjoyed the relationship between Tess and James, and I look forward to seeing where that goes in the next installment of the series. There were several other interesting characters that we got to meet, Henry, a human who was Tess's best friend when she was younger. Then there is Robert, who was her sister's husband, and also the evil George, who is the kind of guy you love to hate. Overall this was an interesting and intriguing story with dystopian, science fiction, and romantic elements, and if you are a fan of these types of stories, then Chosen Ones is something you might want to check out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen Ones.