Nina's Reviews > Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Jul 25, 2008

I always labor a bit when reading dated language, but the lightly satirical tone of this novel carried me through. Certain passages, like when Catherine talks about reading novels, will probably find their way into my work as a librarian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

Quotes Nina Liked

Jane Austen
“No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be a heroine... But from fifteen to seventeen she was in training for a heroine...”
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Jane Austen
“Yes, novels; for I will not adopt that ungenerous and impolitic custom, so common with novel-writers, of degrading, by their contemptuous censure, the very performances to the number of which they are themselves adding; joining with their greatest enemies in bestowing the harshest epithets on such works, and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine, who, if she accidentally take up a novel, is sure to turn over its insipid pages with disgust. Alas! if the heroine of one novel be not patronised by the heroine of another, from whom can she expect protection and regard? I cannot approve of it. Let us leave it to the reviewers to abuse such effusions of fancy at their leisure, and over every new novel to talk in threadbare strains of the trash with which the press now groans. Let us not desert one another- we are an injured body.”
Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey