Bookish After Dark's Reviews > Iron Kissed

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Feb 24, 2012

bookshelves: own, 2012-tbr-challenge, fantasy, pnr, urban-fantasy
Read from April 05 to 09, 2012

Why I read this book?: I've read the last two books in this series back to back, which is an extremely rare occurrence, and I really wanted to keep up with what's going on in Mercy's life so I just kept going. I think I'm going to keep going until I run out of books:) 2013 you can't get here fast enough!

What I liked?: As usual, Mercy! She's got this almost obnoxious sense of loyalty and when Zee gets into deep trouble she just jumps in with both feet to clear his name. That is also the point when shit hits the fan as well. I really liked that in this book Mercy finally chose between Adam and Samuel. I really liked that in this book we learn more about the fae and their folklore, there were some pretty interesting stories that were mentioned in this book. The action and suspense were right up there with the last two books and I really liked how we were introduced to Adam's "vengeful" side and more of the pack behaviors. Like in the first book, the bad guy wasn't obvious until the very end and I was really surprised to see that Mercy was wrong about her suspicions.

What I disliked?: This book started off slower than I really liked. It took a fair amount of reading and setting the book down before I got to the point that things started happening and the book grabbed my attention. I also disliked that new characters and plot points were brought into the book but once introduced where never really expanded upon. Maybe they make appearances in upcoming books but I would have liked to see a little more detail.

Overall Impression: This book is considerably more gritty than the last two books. Even though it isn't my favorite in the series I think it's still a really good installment and I'm off to start Bone Crossed!

Rating: Wait Until Payday!

Recommendation: I recommend this series to anyone who loves a tough as nails heroine in their reading material.

Like This, Love That (Strong Female Heroines): The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, Beka Cooper series by Tamora Pierce, Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Kissed.

Quotes Bookish After Dark Liked

Patricia Briggs
“Some people are boys longer than others.”
tags: boys, men

Patricia Briggs
“She sees ghosts,” said Samuel, impatient with my whining.

"I see dead people,” I deadpanned back. Oddly, it was Uncle Mike who laughed. I hadn’t thought he’d be a moviegoer.”

Patricia Briggs
“Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.”

Patricia Briggs
“Cheeses crusty, got all musty, got damp on the stone of a peach,” I agreed. He looked blank, so I repeated it with proper emphasis. “ ChEEZ-zes crusty. Got Al -musty. Got DAMp on the StoneofapeaCH.”

Patricia Briggs
“The warmth of his body shouldn’t have felt good. He was angry and every muscle was tense. It was like being leaned on by a very heavy, warm brick. A sexy brick.”

Patricia Briggs
“If you could just see your face,” she told me. “You look like a cat in a bathtub.”

Patricia Briggs
“A second floor window opened, and Kyle stuck his head and shoulders out so he could look down at us. “If you two are finished playing Cowboy and Indian out there, some of us would like to get their beauty sleep.”

I looked at Warren. “You heard ‘um Kemo Sabe. Me go to my little wigwam and get ‘um shut-eye.”

“How come you always get to play the Indian?” whined Warren, deadpan.

“Cause she’s the Indian, white boy,” said Kyle.”

Patricia Briggs
“It's only fair to warn you that you sealed your fate tonight. When you knew you were in trouble, you came to me. That makes twice, Mercy, and twice is almost as good as a declaration. You are mine now.... Ben says you might run. If you do, I will find you and bring you back. Every time you run, Mercy. I won't force you, but. .. No more excuses, Mercy. You are mine, and I am keeping you.”

Patricia Briggs
“A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned,” I murmured.
Warren—who had once, a long time ago, been a cowboy—snickered and wiggled his bare feet. “It could be the beginning of either a bad joke or a horror story.”
“No,” said Kyle, the lawyer, whose head was propped up on my thigh. “If you want a horror story, you have to start out with a werewolf, his gorgeous lover, and a walker.”

Patricia Briggs
“It was Adam, but he was too late. He couldn’t love me anymore. He would be so angry with me. I had to hide. He didn’t love me so he might hurt me when he was angry. When he calmed down, that would hurt him. I didn’t want him hurting because of me. There was nowhere for a person to hide. So I wouldn’t be a person. My eyes fell on the shelves that lined the far back corner. A coyote could hide there.”

Patricia Briggs
“She crawled,” Ben said. There were tears in his voice. That was wrong. Ben barely even tolerated me on the best of days. “She crawled to the bathroom to clean herself again. If it weren’t for the two subs in the pack, I’d be on the bottom. And she wouldn’t stand up in my presence for guilt.”

04/06/2012 page 47